34. “Old” Fire Hall

Freeze Creamery – 5 Church St N

It’s kind of hard to believe that the Old Fire Hall on Church street north was once a creamery. After getting a degree at Guelph College and working with his uncle at a creamery in Belleville, Elwood Free decided to go into business for himself. In 1936, he and his wife Helen Rae, drew up plans and built a creamery at this location. After four years, the building was sold to Brock Township as a fire hall and the creamery was relocated to the east side of Highway 12 opposite Morrow Farm Equipment Elwood’s first task was to drive all over the township to collect cream from various farms. The churned butter was molded using a wooden press and individually wrapped into 1-pound packages.

The large cream cans were steamed and cleaned by hand. As new machinery was installed, the process was sped up and eventually 2,200 pounds of butter could be ready in an hour. Now they could deliver butter to Toronto by truck and often return with a load of feed for local farmers. After 1969, the Fries retired and Don Brooks was the manager from 1977 until 1991. Back in 1936, when the township of Brock bought the original creamery site to use as fire hall, there was not that much equipment and during the 1949 fire the local fire truck broke down. In 1950 the township bought a new $10,000 GMC fire truck and that vehicle, in mint condition, is still kept on hand for parades and community events. Another GMC truck was added to the fire hall about 1970.