05. St. Mary’s Anglican Church

St. Mary’s Anglican Church – 134 River St

This red brick church was built in the spring of 1874. The bricks came from the Cannington brickyard and were supplied by William Weatherall and John Wakelin. The masonry work was done by William Bacon, Charles Spearin and Mr. Reed. This building is one of the oldest structures in the village. The land for the rectory was donated by James Doble, who was a banker and owned many building lots in town. The rectory was located at the corner of Church Street South and Jones street on the northeast corner, and it was used by the ministers until about 1942.

At that time, four Anglican churches used the same minister for their services. The rectory was sold about 1990 to fund the new Town hall edition. The new parish hall behind the church was opened April 26, 1990. The new hall had a kitchen, washrooms and a full basement. At one time the minister’s charge included Cannington, All Saints, Sunderland, St. Mary’s, St. James, West Brock and the Anglican Church in Beaverton.

The building closed about 2003 as the congregation became too small to support the church and the facility was sold by the Anglican Syonode in Toronto. The cemetery for this church is west on Concession 6 River street to Durham Road 23. It’s called Thompson Cemetery.