03. Sunderland Town Hall

Sunderland Town Hall – 120 River St

This town hall was constructed in 1906 on the site of a previous wooden frame town hall dating back to 1871. The architect and supervisor was George E. Turner. It is correctly named the Town of Berkshire Town Hall, Sunderland. It took two years for the hall to be constructed, and the final cost was about $6,000. The fire insurance map from 1910 shows that the hall was used as a farmer’s market downstairs and an opera house upstairs.

For decades now the building has been the social center of the town and township. It has been used for plays, musicals, fundraisers during the wars and for over 50 years it has been the site of performances in the Sunderland Music Festival. The new structure has served not only Sunderland but the surrounding township with its clerk’s office, council chamber, banquet hall, jail and small library.

During the Great Depression the jail cells were a place to stay overnight for jobless men passing through town. On the south wall of River Street is the impressive circular rose shaped stained glass window of Gothic design. Behind this window is a large second floor balcony with the original seats that were provided by Robert Charter, the local furniture dealer and undertaker. Those fold up seats still have a rack underneath to hold a gentleman’s hat.

At the southwest corner is the four-story bell tower where an iron bell once rung. The entire ceiling is made of tin metal plates impressed with detailed patterns. In 1991 a town hall restoration committee worked with Brock Township and the Sunderland Lions to bring the building up to fire code. They did major restorations to the washrooms and added an elevator. The windows are Romanesque with their round arches. Inside is a vaudevillian stage with an old-fashioned ticket room and a sloped concert floor.

In front of the town hall is the cenotaph built in 1922 to honour the men killed serving Canada in the armed forces in both World wars.