18. The Sunderland Presbyterian Church

The Sunderland Presbyterian Church – 5 Albert St

King Edwards Lodge A.F. & A.M. No. 464 G.R.C

The original church was built just north of the Sunderland Cemetery and in about 1875 after the Toronto Nipissing Railroad came through Sunderland, a new church was built at this location. The Insurance maps of 1910 show that there was a 30-foot block tower and above it a 15-foot wooden peak. This street was originally called Main street but later renamed Albert street which causes confusion about the locations of the original buildings.

In 1913 the Calhoun Block just north of the church was destroyed by fire and the roof and the tower of the church were damaged. In 1925, the Presbyterian Church joined with the Methodist Church to form the United Church of Canada. After this time, the services were held in the St. Andrews United Church on Church Street North. The new congregation used the Presbyterian manse, which was on the corner of Albert Street North and Doble Street.

The Methodist manse was at the corner of Pine and Water Streets and had been the former home of Robert E. Porrit, a wealthy businessman who owned the McDermott block.

In 1928, the Presbyterian Church was sold to the King Edward Lodge of Sunderland. The building was renovated officially dedicated in 1929. This building is now home to the Masons and members of the Easter Star charitable organizations. Local families that attended and supported the Presbyterian church include the Weddells, Pattersons, Tokers, Glendennings, Wallaces, Gillespies, and the Charters.