08. The Blacksmith Shop

The Blacksmith Shop – 135 River St

This building was once the blacksmith shop of Dan McIntyre. It was one of several dating back to the mid-1800s. Dan worked with several local apprentices to train them as blacksmiths. He taught William James Payne, who later started up his own blacksmith shop in Markham. Another local lad who worked for Dan was Fred Wilkinson, who had come to Canada as a Bernardo Boy in 1899 when he was only nine. An original round steel frame used for setting buggy wheels was taken from the front lawn and moved to the front of the museum at 14 Church Street north in the fall of 2008. This steel frame was a huge circle of solid iron that was about 4ft in diameter. It has a hole in the center and easily weighs about 100 pounds.

The maps of 1904 and 1910 show the blacksmith shop here at this location. Dan is listed in the 1891 directory as a blacksmith in Sunderland. Dan used the garage for the shop, and the home was later lived in by Ken Sheldon. One of the earliest blacksmiths in Sunderland was Thomas Colerin, who ran a shop from 1856 to 1883 on the northwest corner of River and Highway 12. His sons would later work for the T.E. Eaton Company, Toronto as wheelwrights fixing the delivery wagons. In 1883 Henry German built a blacksmith shop in Sunderland. In 1901 the village blacksmith was Thomas Warean and his son Henry. George K had a livery and blacksmith shop to the east of the CIBC bank and down the hill from 1907 to 1955. In 2009 this home was removed and the site now belongs to Brown and Breathor.