02. Saint Andrews United Church

Saint Andrews United Church – 10 Church St N

Originally this was the Wesleyan Methodist Church. The congregation was formed about 1852. The Methodists at first had circuit ministers who would ride about the countryside holding services in local homes and barns. About 1873 the Methodists built a white brick church here for their Sunday services. The land was owned by Henry Breathor, and he sold it for $150. Before that, meetings were held from 1871 to 1873 in the old frame town hall next door. In 1907 a red brick church was designed by George E. Turner, and it was opened on February 23, 1908. A foul supper was held the next night, and pledges were taken to pay off the $12,500 cost of the new building. Within nine years the church was free of this debt.

In 1924 Methodists and Presbyterians joined to form the United Church of Canada. The Methodist Church was to be used as the place of worship and some of the furniture and the organ was moved from the Presbyterian Church on Albert street to this site. In 1928 the Presbyterian Church was sold to the King Edward Masonic Lodge Branch 464 Sunderland for $825. Recently the St. Andrews United Church celebrated its 100th anniversary and many changes have occurred since 1908. In 1946 the present pipe organ was installed and finally in 1951 the sheds for the horses and buggies were removed from the back of the church property. New stained-glass windows were added to the auditorium, and the heating system went from wood to coal and then to oil. In 1979, the Narthex and the sanctuary were both completely carpeted.

For increased accessibility a chairlift was added in 1980 and just last year a wheelchair access elevator was added, thanks to a grant from the Ontario Trillium Foundation. This building is the site of many community activities and is used by the Lions Club for the music festival and the annual Christmas bazaar.